Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Science as Story

I love it when scientists show their passion. The Origins Project at Arizona State University recently gathered Tracy Day, Brian Greene, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Ira Flatow, Richard Dawkins, Bill Nye, and Neal Stephenson (yes, I know they aren't all scientists) into one auditorium and let them get passionate about science.

The Storytelling of Science http://youtu.be/_J4QPz52Sfo?t=1m5s

(I won't embed the video here because Blogger-sized video doesn't do this justice.)

They filled 3,000 seats with people who wanted to hear a bunch of scientists sit around and talk. Tyson lives up to his reputation--I think this guy could easily have been a televangelist, but I'm glad he chose to use his powers for good--and he unfetters his passion partway through his talk, but the video really reminded me of how much I like Bill Nye.

Warning: this whole thing comes in two parts and it's about an hour and a half long, so get some popcorn before you hit play.



No comments: